These burgers are super versatile! Serve them on pita for a more traditional falafel feel, atop greens for a seriously substantial salad, or wrapped in chard for a naturally gluten-free option. This recipe is simple, requiring just 7 ingredients. Plus, it’s seriously well spiced with infusions from both garlic and cumin for a tangy, smoky flavor. As for sauces, hummus makes a lovely touch!
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 40 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour
CATEGORY: Entree, Side
CUISINE: Gluten-Free, Mediterranean-Inspired, Vegan
– 1 bundle fresh parsley (~2 cups chopped)
– 3 large cloves garlic
– 1 large lemon (~2 1/2 Tbsp juice)
– scant 1/2 tsp sea salt + black pepper
– 1 1/4 tsp cumin
– 1 15- ounce can chickpeas, well rinsed and drained
– 1/4 – 1/2 cup ground raw walnuts, pecans, almonds, or GF oat flour
TOPPINGS / FOR SERVING (optional)
– Garlic Dill sauce
– Chili Garlic Sauce or Sriracha
– 5-minute Hummus
– Pita or sturdy greens, such as chard or collard greens
- Add parsley, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, and a healthy pinch each salt and pepper to a food processor and mix to combine.
- Add chickpeas and pulse until incorporated but still slightly chunky. You want to maintain a bit of texture.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add nut meal (or oat flour) and mix again until a loose dough is formed that’s firm enough to be handled. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added a touch more salt.
- Draw an “x” in the dough to form 4 sections, then use your hands to form into 4 large patties roughly 1/2-inch thick.
- Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and refrigerate or freeze for 15 minutes to firm up. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (in the meantime.
OPTIONAL STEP: For a little extra crust on the outside, before baking heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat and add 2 Tbsp olive or canola oil. Swirl to coat pan, then add falafel. Carefully flip once golden brown – about 3-4 minutes – and then cook on the other side until golden brown as well – 3-4 more minutes. Return to baking sheet to continue baking. Otherwise, just add them straight to the oven for baking. Bake for a total of 30-40 minutes, flipping once at the halfway point for even cooking. The longer you bake them, the firmer they’ll get! Serve warm wrapped in a pita or chard bun and desired sauces / toppings. Alternatively, serve atop a salad and use the garlic sauce as a dressing. Burgers will store in the fridge, layered with parchment paper in an airtight container, for several days. Freeze to keep longer.
* Adapted from my Better Than Restaurant V GF Falafel
* Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 4 burgers without toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (1 of 4)
Calories: 180 Fat: 10g Saturated fat: 0.7g Sodium: 620mg Carbohydrates: 17.2g Fiber: 4.6g Sugar: 0.8g Protein: 9.4g (Author: Minimalist Baker)