It is widely known that a diet rich in antioxidants has amazing benefits for anti aging and skin health. Antioxidants can be found in vitamin supplements or in skin care products. But what are antioxidants? How do they benefit your skin? Antioxidants are essentially vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals designed to protect our cells from free radical damage. These are found in fruits, vegetables, plants and other natural places, but they can also be produced by humans. Not all Antioxidants are equal. All antioxidants have the goal to protect our cells from free radical damage, which causes aging. However different types of antioxidants work in different organs and in different areas of the cell. So not all antioxidants work the same way, there is no one antioxidant that is better that the others to make you healthy. So our body needs a variety of antioxidants to stay in optimal health. Each antioxidant has its own function, for example Vitamin E and Coenzyme Q10 protect the mitochondria and also the fatty cell membrane. Water based glutathione protects the nucleus. As you can see even though all antioxidants have the same goal, they have different roles. Antioxidants benefit our skin, but how does prevention of free radical damage works to prevent skin damage. There are some internal and external factors that produce free radicals in our body and cause damage, here are some of them.:
– Internal Factors: Xanthine oxidase; Exercise; Inflammation.
– External Factors: Pollution; Smoking; Ozone; Drugs; Pesticides; Radiation.
Antioxidants work to destroy free radicals and lower the damage they cause to our skin health, causing an anti aging benefit. Therefore antioxidants will improve your own skins ability to repair itself and stay youthful, because they destroy free radicals. There have been many studies that prove the benefits of antioxidants in skin care. For example free radicals breakdown collagen, which is really bad because collagen keeps our skin young and healthy. One of the biggest enemies of a young skin is exposure to the Sun UV rays. Studies show that eighty percent of the sings of aging on the skin are the result of long exposure to the sun without protection. Taking antioxidants can prevent this damage. Is necessary to take different skin anti oxidants so you can get the maximum anti aging benefit and let them work simultaneously to get the best results. Which Antioxidants are the Best?
– Vitamin C: reduces the appearance of the signs of aging, calms and hydrate the skin. Most anti aging products contain this vital vitamin, but you can also get it with a healthy balanced diet.
– Vitamin E: This antioxidants is found in vegetables and fruits and is in the skin, you can easily get it with you diet. Vitamin E reduces the signs of aging and supports collagen.
– Resveratrol: Evens the skin tone, brightens up a persons complexion and prevents negative environment damage.
– Lycopene: This antioxidant improves your skin texture by promoting collagen production and reduces DNA damage that cause wrinkles. This antioxidant is often ignored but its really beneficial.
– Astaxanthin: Increases moisture retention, skin moisture and elasticity of the skin. Makes the sings of aging less visible and improves smoothness.
Those are some of the most important antioxidants which can help you have a healthy and youthful skin as you age. If you want to get all the necessary anti oxidants that your skin needs to produce more collagen and look young check our recommended supplements a tour e-store.